Photo from Ricky Romero (Creative Commons License)
Yes, we are happy MacBook users! Me and my wife too: “Why didn’t you already buy this Mac some years ago?” She loves the dock with its program icons, the amazing fast boot time, and the intuitive handling of day-to-day tasks (e.g. including a foto into an e-mail).
The only thing which I’m not satisfied at all is the missing import function from Outlook to Mail. This is a basic feature that I would have expected to be implemented by Apple. Why do I have to buy a 3rd party tool to import properly emails and contacts?
- Cyberduck – the right choice for an FTP client
- Fruux – a good solution to synch your address books, calendars, and favourites between Mac users (even on the same MacBook)
- Gimp – for the more advanced editing of your fotos and graphics
- OpenOffice – good enough for 80% of the tasks I use the MS office package for in the office
- MPEG StreamClip – a converter for MPEG video files
- RadioLover – the right tool to record and split MP3 songs from radio streams (limited to 30 minutes per session for the free version)
- Skype – no need to introduce this one…
- Smultron – an open source text editor (e.g. to edit HTML code on your website)
- XMind- use it for mindmapping
- Zattoo – watch TV via an easy-to-use peer-to-peer system (mostly German channels)